This is a question that has nagged the mind of every creative, doctor, teacher, banker, and other professional across different sectors. It doesn’t help that AI is in a constant and never-ending flux therefore making it unpredictable.
AI is an acronym for Artificial Intelligence and can be defined as the science of making machines think like humans. Talk about scary yet mind-blowing.
Like a butter churner, your mind is spinning and trying to decipher how digital machines are made to mirror human behaviour. I am not a scientist but like you, I have the magic of the Internet and have taken the time to study this ‘threat’ to the future of the workplace and humanity at large.
AI systems work by testing/running a large amount of data using Algorithms to learn patterns and features. Simply put, an AI engineer collects large amounts of data, processes/ cleans the data, tests and evaluates the AI model, optimizes the model’s performance, and finally deploys it for use via existing or new programs.
Also read: 10 Hot Careers in the tech world today
AI, intentionally or unintentionally, has become a part of human existence and a tool that is constantly in use. Look at the evolution of the communication methods, for instance.
Before the invention of phones, humans devised several means of communication like homing pigeons, Morse code, and telegraph. Imagine having to wait for several moons to get an ‘‘Hey there’’ to your long-distance boyfriend or girlfriend. A true test of love. Now, you can tell the accurate distance between you and your lover who is three countries away, confirm the weather in your lover’s country, and even find tourist attractions you can see when you go visit.
There is no doubt that AI has been a protagonist in a lot of love stories.
Gradually, AI has become an important component of most software and is speculated to be more transformative and impactful in the years to come.
YES! The future is indeed AI and seeing that we can’t escape the future, we might as well learn the advantages, disadvantages, and optimization of Artificial Intelligence.
The advantages of AI, besides being a love adherent, are numerous.
- Convenience: The initial and most important benefit of AI is convenience. From ordering food online to booking a flight to communication, AI has been an integral tool of convenience.
- Precision and Accuracy: AI helps to lessen human error and provides a high level of accuracy and precision.
- Objectivity: As humans, we are prone to subjectivity and bias. AI works with data and algorithms making it the perfect tool for avoiding sentiments and subjectivity.
- Cost and Time Saving: AI systems help individuals and businesses save resources by automating steps, projects, and tasks.
- Productivity: AI handles tasks and projects at a volume and speed that is impossible for humans.
Naturally, everything that has advantages also has disadvantages and AI is not an exception. Interestingly, the advantages of AI are also the disadvantages.
You don’t believe me? Let’s check it out!
- Convenience: Statistics have proven that convenience food has contributed to rising rates of obesity which has in turn led to health issues such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, stroke, coronary heart disease, gallbladder disease, etc. The ugly side of such a high level of convenience is that it gives an unprecedented and uncontrollable level of access.
- Precision and accuracy: The precision and accuracy of AI systems are subject to the data being fed to the systems. If the data set is small or biased, it can lead to errors/mistakes. The funny thing is, due to human reliance on AI, the error might not be spotted.
- Objectivity: Like precision and accuracy, data is the core component of AI objectivity. The dilemma with subjectivity in AI is the difficulty in telling what exactly is causing it; The AI model or the training data set.
- Cost and Time Saving: Here lies the major fear and the question of AI completely dominating the workspace. Adoption of the automation of projects and tasks will lead to a significant shift in employment opportunities and job displacement for those who fail to adapt.
- Productivity: As earlier stated, automation of tasks and projects might lead to the elimination of jobs conventionally held by humans.
Now that we are armed with the knowledge of how AI works and its advantages and disadvantages, we must examine how to make AI work for us by maximizing its advantages.
Making AI work for you involves:
1. Identify the problems in your sector/industry.
2. Identifying the types and models of AI system that is relevant to your sector/industry and can solve the identified problem(s).
3. Take courses on how to use the chosen system.
4. Integrate your lessons into your daily operations.
5. Monitor and evaluate the effect of AI on these operations.
Conclusively, embrace AI and don’t get left behind in the evolution of the world.
Best of luck!
Receive the latest job and career updates in your inbox, every week!